Dental Implants in Columbia, MD
Improve Your Oral Health
Many people struggle with tooth loss, whether they are missing one tooth or all of their teeth, and turn to dental implants. This popular tooth replacement option restores oral health, oral function, and confidence. Akeso Oral, Facial & Dental Implant Surgery is the leading dental implant provider in Columbia, MD, and we invite patients who need to restore teeth to contact our office. Our surgeons have helped many patients restore their smile and will create a custom treatment plan to help you achieve a beautifully healthy smile you can feel proud of.
What Is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a type of replacement tooth that looks, feels, and functions like a natural tooth. Implants are made up of a titanium post, an abutment, and a custom crown that is designed to blend in with your other teeth for beautiful results. As long as you have sufficient jaw bone, you likely qualify for dental implants and can receive as many as you need to complete your smile.
In addition to their convenience and aesthetics, dental implants are also a healthy way to replace missing teeth. Bone loss is a major health risk when a tooth is missing because there is no root present to keep the jaw bone strong. The post of a dental implant acts just like a natural tooth root, preventing bone loss and restoring strength and stability.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Protect the Jaw Bone
Dental implants are the only tooth restoration option that preserves facial structure and prevents bone loss.
Dental implant treatment is designed around your needs, whether you need to replace one tooth, several teeth, or your entire smile.
Once the implant post fuses to the jaw bone, it becomes a fixed addition to your smile and with care, your implants can last a lifetime.
Every dental implant crown is custom-made to match the color and shape of your natural teeth, so it will blend in perfectly with your smile.
Types of Dental Implants
Our practice uses state-of-the-art implant systems and techniques to ensure optimal outcomes for our patients. During the first visit, we will talk about your oral health and the right type of implant for your needs.
- Single Tooth Replacement. One dental implant, which includes the post, abutment, and crown, can replace a tooth anywhere in the dental arch, as long as there is sufficient jaw bone to support it.
- Multiple Tooth Replacement. Individual implants can replace missing teeth throughout the mouth, and an implant-supported bridge can replace multiple teeth that are missing beside each other.
- Same-Day Dental Implants. If we are extracting a tooth and you qualify for implants, we can immediately place an implant at the same appointment, saving you time and money.
- Full-Arch Restoration. If you need to replace most or all of your teeth, we can use several implants to support a fixed denture in one or both arches, providing you with a complete, fully functional smile.
- Mini Dental Implants. Mini dental implants are placed using less-invasive techniques and are much smaller than traditional implants. They are great for patients who cannot undergo invasive surgery or lack sufficient bone for a full-sized implant.
- Zygomatic Dental Implants. Instead of being inserted into the jaw bone, zygomatic implants are inserted into the cheek bone and are ideal for patients who lack sufficient upper jaw bone and who cannot undergo a sinus lift procedure.
- Zirconia Dental Implants. Zirconia implants are a metal-free option for patients with sensitivities to titanium. Because of their naturally white color, some patients find zirconia implants more aesthetically pleasing.
- Pterygoid Dental Implants. Inserted into the pterygoid plate in the skull, these implants are suitable for patients with severe upper jaw bone loss and eliminate the need for bone grafting procedures.
The Dental Implant Procedure
Your surgeon will take 3d scans of your mouth and create your custom treatment plan during the consultation. To ensure your comfort, we will help you select the right type of anesthesia based on your anxiety and the complexity of your procedure.
The surgical procedure takes place in our office and takes about one hour per implant. Your surgeon will make an incision in the gum tissue, insert the implant, and place sutures to close incisions around the implant site as necessary. We may attach a temporary crown to wear if the implant is in a more visible location. Then, the healing process will begin.
Your implant will fuse to the jaw bone over the next few months. Once it has healed, you will return to our office for a second procedure to uncover the implant post and attach the abutment. Sometimes, we attach the abutment during the initial procedure, so you will not have to return for a second. It will take about two weeks for the soft tissues to heal around the abutment.
With the abutment attached to the implant and the post secured in place, you are ready for your final crown, which is attached by a restorative dentist. Once it is placed, your dental implant treatment is complete.
Denture Replacement With Dental Implants
Dentures are another option for restoring missing teeth and do not require surgery. However, many patients who wear dentures find them uncomfortable and dislike having to take their teeth out when eating or brushing. Removable dentures do not prevent bone loss, and with the cost of replacing them every few years and the possibility of extensive bone repair surgery down the road, dentures can become expensive.
By choosing to invest in dental implants, you choose a long-term solution that protects your oral health. Implants also do not require special rinses or adhesives, making it easy to maintain proper oral hygiene. Whether you wear full or partial dentures, full-arch restoration using dental implants can bring health, functionality, and confidence back to your smile. Contact us to learn more about denture replacement with dental implants in Columbia, MD.
Dental Implants in Columbia, MD
At Akeso Oral, Facial & Dental Implant Surgery, we make implant-based tooth restoration a possibility for more patients by offering bone grafting treatments and a variety of dental implant systems. You deserve a healthy smile that you love, and we encourage you to contact our office in Columbia, MD, to explore your treatment options.
Hear From Our Patients
Committed to Patient Care & Clinical Excellence
As a patient at Akeso Oral, Facial & Dental Implant Surgery, you can expect to receive the highest level of care from a team centered around your needs. We proudly serve patients of all ages in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan areas and invite you to contact us to schedule your appointment.