Dental Implants in Laurel, MD
Long-Term Solution for Missing Teeth
Dental implants can bring health and beauty back to your smile and are a popular tooth replacement option for many patients with missing or damaged teeth. These healthy replacement teeth will allow you to enjoy eating your favorite foods, feel confident laughing and smiling around others, and contribute to your long-term oral health.
Our surgeons use state-of-the-art technology and implant techniques to design custom treatment plansand achieve optimal outcomes for our patients. If you're looking to replace missing teeth and regain your smile, contact Akeso Oral, Facial & Dental Implant Surgery in Laurel, MD, to schedule your consultation.
What Is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant, which consists of a post, an abutment, and a crown, replicates the appearance and function of a natural tooth. The implant post is inserted into the jaw bone and simulates a tooth root, which stimulates the jaw bone to keep it healthy. Jaw bone loss is a major consequence of missing teeth and can lead to facial sagging or dental shifting.
Dental implants are the only tooth restoration option that prevents jaw bone loss and helps you maintain facial structure. There are other options for restoring teeth, such as removable dentures or dental bridges. These options do not prevent bone loss or fully restore your ability to bite and chew, and many patients find them uncomfortable. Because of these reasons and the stunning results, many patients choose a dental implant when they are in need of a replacement tooth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Because the implant post fuses with the jaw bone, dental implants prevent bone loss and preserve the alignment of your other teeth.
Dental implants are incredibly versatile—whether you're missing one tooth or all of your teeth, they can restore your smile and oral function.
Dental implants are custom-made and designed to look and feel just like natural teeth.
To maintain oral hygiene, simply brush and floss your implant like a natural tooth—no removable parts or special products necessary!
Types of Dental Implants
Our surgeons offer many types of dental implant treatments and will determine the right type for your oral health needs during the consultation.
- Single Tooth Replacement. One implant can restore a missing or broken tooth anywhere in the dental arch, provided there is sufficient jaw bone to support the implant.
- Multiple Tooth Replacement. Multiple individual implants can be placed throughout the mouth, or an implant-supported bridge can be used to restore several teeth that are next to one another.
- Same-Day Dental Implants. Immediately after extracting a tooth, we can place a dental implant as long as there is enough jaw bone. Immediate implants save money and eliminate the need for a separate surgical procedure to insert the implant.
- Full-Arch Restoration. Using several dental implants to support a fixed prosthesis, we can restore an entire arch of teeth. This treatment is ideal for patients who wear dentures and seek a better alternative, or who are missing most or all of their teeth.
- Mini Dental Implants. Mini implants function just like full-sized implants, but they are much smaller and the procedure to place them is less invasive. These are ideal for patients who cannot undergo invasive surgery or do not have enough jaw bone for traditional implants.
- Zygomatic Dental Implants. Zygomatic implants are inserted into the cheek bone instead of the jaw, providing a restorative option to patients who lack sufficient upper jaw bone and cannot undergo a sinus lift procedure.
- Zirconia Dental Implants. Zirconia implants are made of a ceramic material, unlike traditional implants which are made of titanium. These implants are ideal for patients with metal allergies or who prefer a non-metal alternative.
- Pterygoid Dental Implants. In cases of severe upper jaw bone loss, we can insert an implant into the pterygoid plate in the skull. These implants also eliminate the need for bone grafting.
The Dental Implant Procedure
Using detailed 3d scans of your mouth, our surgeons will create a custom surgical plan for your procedure. We will discuss your options for anesthesia, which include IV sedation, laughing gas, and general and local anesthesia, and determine the right type for your comfort.
After the anesthesia is administered, your surgeon will make an incision in the gum tissue and insert the dental implant post. In some cases, the abutment will be attached to the implant during this procedure. You may also be given a temporary crown to wear. You will be provided with post-operative instructions to follow during your recovery.
The healing process takes several months as the implant fuses to the jaw bone. Once healed, you will return to our office for a second procedure to place the abutment if this was not done already. Then, your restorative dentist will attach your final crown.
Denture Replacement With Dental Implants
Removable dentures are a quick way to replace missing teeth, and no surgical procedure is necessary. Although they may seem cost-effective upfront, the cost of dentures can accumulate over time as they require replacements every few years and do not prevent bone loss, which may require costly bone repair treatments. If they are not professionally fitted, dentures can slip around or cause oral sores, making it uncomfortable to wear your replacement teeth.
By investing in dental implants, you can enjoy a long-term solution that protects the jaw bone and can last a lifetime with proper care. If you wear dentures and are ready to explore a healthier, more convenient alternative, contact our practice in Laurel, MD, to see how dental implants and full-arch restoration can restore your oral health and happiness.
Dental Implants in Laurel, MD
At Akeso Oral, Facial & Dental Implant Surgery, we make implant-based tooth restoration a possibility for more patients by offering bone grafting treatments and a variety of dental implant systems. You deserve a healthy smile that you love, and we encourage you to contact our office in Laurel, MD, to explore your treatment options.
Hear From Our Patients
Committed to Patient Care & Clinical Excellence
As a patient at Akeso Oral, Facial & Dental Implant Surgery, you can expect to receive the highest level of care from a team centered around your needs. We proudly serve patients of all ages in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan areas and invite you to contact us to schedule your appointment.