Dental Implants in Lutherville, MD
A Fixed, Healthy Tooth Replacement Solution
If you have teeth that are damaged beyond the point of saving, if you are missing teeth, or if you are unsatisfied with your current prosthesis, dental implants can be your ticket to a beautifully healthy smile. Dental implants look, function, and feel like natural teeth and can help you feel confident about your smile while restoring your oral health and function.
At Akeso Oral, Facial & Dental Implant Surgery, our surgeons design a custom treatment plan for every patient and will help you achieve the complete and healthy smile you deserve. Contact our office in Lutherville, MD, today to schedule an appointment and find out how dental implants can benefit your smile.
What Is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is a fixed type of tooth restoration with a post, which acts as a natural tooth root, a connective abutment, and a crown. Dental implants are unique because they are inserted into the jaw bone. This stability allows you to regain full function of your replacement tooth and also stimulates the bone, keeping the jaw strong and preventing bone loss. Traditional dentures and bridges, on the other hand, do not prevent bone loss as they rest on the gums or rely on existing teeth for support.
Up to three replacement teeth can typically be attached to the implant, or multiple implants can support a fixed denture to restore an entire dental arch. Whether you're missing a single tooth or need to restore all of your teeth, dental implants can restore your oral health, smile, and self-confidence with long-term results. Many people qualify for implants and with so many implant treatments available, we can replace missing teeth and bring health and confidence to your smile.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Improve your ability to speak and eat comfortably with healthy new teeth that stay in place.
Prevent Bone Loss
The implants integrate with the jaw, preventing bone loss and preserving facial structure.
No Special Care Necessary
Implants require the same care as natural teeth, making it easy to maintain good oral hygiene.
Every crown or prosthesis is custom-made to look natural and blend in with your existing teeth.
Types of Dental Implants
Our surgeons can perform many types of implant-based tooth restorations and the right option for you will depend on how many teeth you need replaced and the condition of your jaw bone. We will explain all of your options during the consultation appointment, keeping you informed at every step of your care.
- Single Tooth Replacement. One dental implant can replace a missing or damaged tooth anywhere in the dental arch.
- Multiple Tooth Replacement. If you're missing several teeth next to each other, an implant-supported bridge can replace them. Multiple implants can restore teeth missing at different places throughout your smile.
- Same-Day Dental Implants. If there is sufficient jaw bone, we can place a dental implant immediately following tooth extraction, saving you money and reducing the number of appointments necessary.
- Full-Arch Restoration. By using several dental implants to support a natural-looking, fully functioning prosthesis, we can restore the entire upper or lower arches of teeth.
- Mini Dental Implants. Mini implants are much smaller than traditional implants and require less invasive placement, making them ideal for patients who lack sufficient jaw bone for full-sized implants or who cannot undergo invasive procedures.
- Zygomatic Dental Implants. These implants are inserted into the cheek bone and are great for patients who lack sufficient upper jaw bone and are unable to undergo a sinus lift.
- Zirconia Dental Implants. Zirconia implants are made of a ceramic material, ideal for patients with metal sensitivities or who prefer a metal-free option.
- Pterygoid Dental Implants. If you have experienced severe upper jaw bone loss, you can still restore teeth with pterygoid implants, which are inserted into the pterygoid plate in the skull.
The Dental Implant Procedure
Before your procedure, we will walk you through each step of your treatment. We will take 3d scans of your mouth, design your treatment plan, and help you choose the right type of anesthesia for your comfort. As oral and maxillofacial surgeons, we can safely administer many types, including IV sedation, laughing gas, local anesthesia, and general anesthesia.
We will administer the selected form of anesthesia and make a small incision in the gums to place the implant. We may attach the abutment and/or a temporary crown at this appointment, then place sutures around the implant site as necessary.
During the initial healing process, which takes several months, the implant post will fuse with the jaw bone. Once healed, we will attach the abutment to the implant if this was not done during the initial procedure. Then, your restorative dentist will attach the final crown, completing your dental implant restoration.
Denture Replacement With Dental Implants
Dentures are a quick way to restore missing teeth, but they can be cumbersome and do not protect the jaw bone from deterioration caused by tooth loss. Many patients choose dentures because they are cost-effective upfront, but their cost can accumulate over time; they require replacements every few years and can lead to extensive bone repair treatment to rebuild the jaw.
If you wear dentures, you can replace them with an implant-supported prosthesis that protects your jaw bone, restores oral function, and eliminates the inconveniences associated with removable dentures. This treatment is called full-arch restoration and can transform your smile—and your life. Learn more about denture replacement with dental implants in Lutherville, MD, by contacting our office.
Dental Implants in Lutherville, MD
At Akeso Oral, Facial & Dental Implant Surgery, we make implant-based tooth restoration a possibility for more patients by offering bone grafting treatments and a variety of dental implant systems. You deserve a healthy smile that you love, and we encourage you to contact our office in Lutherville, MD, to explore your treatment options.
Hear From Our Patients
Committed to Patient Care & Clinical Excellence
As a patient at Akeso Oral, Facial & Dental Implant Surgery, you can expect to receive the highest level of care from a team centered around your needs. We proudly serve patients of all ages in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan areas and invite you to contact us to schedule your appointment.