Dental Implants in Westminster, MD
Replacement Teeth That Can Last a Lifetime
If you have one or more teeth that are missing, decayed, or broken beyond repair, dental implants can be your solution to a healthy and complete smile. Dental implants restore function and appearance to your smile, allowing you to eat comfortably and feel confident about your teeth again. Akeso Oral, Facial & Dental Implant Surgery offers dental implants in Westminster, MD, and our expert oral surgeons specialize in restoring smiles with long-lasting dental implants. Contact our practice today to find out how dental implants can improve your health and boost your self-esteem.
What Is a Dental Implant?
Dental implants are uniquely designed to look, feel, and function just like natural teeth. They are made of a post, an abutment, and a crown that all work together to restore one or more missing teeth. The post is surgically inserted into the jaw and fuses to the bone. It acts just like a natural tooth root, stimulating the jaw to keep it healthy and providing strength to your replacement teeth. The abutment is attached to the implant post, which is then attached to the custom-made crown. Whether you wish to restore a single tooth or makeover your entire smile, dental implants can provide you with a fixed solution that looks and feels natural.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Prevent Bone Loss
The jaw bone requires stimulation from teeth roots to stay healthy. Dental implants are the only tooth restoration option that fuses with the jaw and provides the same stimulation as roots, preventing the bone from deteriorating.
Improve Oral Health
With a complete smile, you prevent issues like misalignment and bite problems. Implants are also easy to care for. To maintain good oral hygiene, simply brush and floss your implant like a natural tooth.
Love Your Smile
Having a healthy smile you feel proud of drastically impacts your self-esteem. Dental implants restore health and beauty to your smile, so you laugh, eat, and enjoy your life with confidence.
Removable dentures and bridges are quick ways to replace teeth, but they are not permanent. Dental implants, however, fuse with your jaw and become a fixed addition to your smile. With care, your implants can last a lifetime.
Types of Dental Implants
Our oral and maxillofacial surgeons proudly offer a range of implant-based restorations to fit the unique needs of every patient. During the consultation, your surgeon will explain your treatment options and design your care plan with the right type of implants for your smile.
- Single Tooth Replacement. You can receive an implant anywhere in your mouth where you desire a new tooth.
- Multiple Tooth Replacement. To replace missing teeth, we can place multiple implants throughout the mouth or use an implant-supported bridge to replace teeth that are missing next to each other in the dental arch.
- Same-Day Dental Implants. If you have sufficient jaw bone, we can place a dental implant immediately after extracting a tooth. This reduces the number of surgical visits necessary to restore the tooth, saving time and money.
- Full-Arch Restoration. This life-changing treatment uses multiple implants to support a prosthesis in one or both arches. Your new arch of teeth will stay in place, and you can regain full functionality of your smile, plus enjoy the health benefits of dental implants.
- Mini Dental Implants. For patients who cannot receive full-size implants or undergo invasive surgery, mini dental implants are an option. Mini implants provide the same functionality and health benefits as traditional implants, but have a much smaller post.
- Zygomatic Dental Implants. Whereas traditional implants are placed in the jaw, zygomatic implants are placed in the zygomatic bone, or cheek bone. They are ideal for patients with severe upper jaw bone loss who cannot receive traditional implants.
- Zirconia Dental Implants. Patients who desire a metal-free option or who have metal sensitivities can receive zirconia implants, which are made of a tooth-colored ceramic material instead of stainless steel.
- Pterygoid Dental Implants. Pterygoid implants are another option for patients with severe upper jaw bone loss. These implants are inserted into the pterygoid plate in the skull and avoid the need for bone grafting or sinus augmentation procedures.
Dental Implant Procedure
During the first visit, we will take 3d scans of your mouth and your oral surgeon will create your custom treatment plan. We will help you choose the right type of anesthesia for your procedure to ensure a comfortable and positive surgical experience.
On the day of your surgical procedure, your surgeon will make a small incision in the gum tissue and insert the dental implant. If you are having a tooth extracted, your surgeon will extract and replace the tooth at the same visit. After the post is inserted, we may attach the abutment at this time. If we do not, you will return for a second surgical visit to have the implant uncovered and the abutment attached.
We will place a temporary crown over the implant post for you to wear as the implant heals. The healing process can take several months as the implant fuses with the jaw bone. Once healed, your restorative dentist will place the final crown, completing your tooth restoration.
Dentures or Dental Implants?
Bridges or removable dentures are quick and non-invasive ways to replace missing teeth. However, these options do not fully restore oral function and many patients find them uncomfortable. Without an implant post to serve as an artificial tooth root, dentures and bridges leave you at risk of jaw bone atrophy that can occur when teeth are missing.
Dental implants protect your jaw bone and restore your ability to eat and speak comfortably. There are no removable parts and once your implant heals, it will feel just like a natural tooth. When you choose dental implants to replace missing teeth, you make an investment in your long-term oral health and comfort.
Dental Implants in Westminster, MD
At Akeso Oral, Facial & Dental Implant Surgery, we make implant-based tooth restoration a possibility for more patients by offering bone grafting treatments and a variety of dental implant systems. You deserve a healthy smile that you love, and we encourage you to contact our office in Westminster, MD, to explore your treatment options.
Hear From Our Patients
Committed to Patient Care & Clinical Excellence
As a patient at Akeso Oral, Facial & Dental Implant Surgery, you can expect to receive the highest level of care from a team centered around your needs. We proudly serve patients of all ages in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan areas and invite you to contact us to schedule your appointment.