April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month. Always April is a national partnership of oral surgery practices that aims to bring oral cancer awareness into a year-round discussion.
We look for signs of oral cancer during every patient exam. The earlier oral cancer is detected and treated, the better the outcome. Schedule your free oral cancer screening today!
- One person dies from oral cancer every 49 minutes in the United States.
- Oral cancer is one of the most common, yet most preventable, cancers. When detected early, the 5-year relative survival rate is approximately 81%.
- Ultraviolet (UV) light (typically sunlight) can cause cancers of the lip and are most common in people who work or spend extended periods of time outdoors.
- Several studies have found that a diet low in fruits and vegetables is linked with an increased risk of oral cancer.
- Oral cancer is rising in low-risk groups.
What to expect during an oral cancer screening:
There is no need to do anything to prepare for a standard oral cancer screening. During the screening, an oral care specialist will look over the inside of your mouth to check for red or white patches or mouth sores. They will also feel the tissues in your mouth to check for lumps or other abnormalities, and may examine your throat and neck for lumps.
Watch this video from our national Always April partners to learn more about oral cancer awareness and the importance of early detection and screenings.
*Advanced appointments requested. Local health guidelines for COVID-19 will be followed and masks are required as we look to provide a safe and healthy environment for you, our patients, staff, and doctors.